Sure, this simple frosting technique for a candy heart cake is plenty of fun, but why stop there. Our Music Box Ballerina Cake Topper Kit takes it from basic to BEYOND ADORABLE!
What to do:
1. Baked a cake and make bright pink tinted frosting (actually a few cakes, this one was two 10" cakes and two 8"). Here's an amazing cake and frosting recipe by our founder Libbie Summers.
2. If you don't want to bake a cake from scratch, buy one already baked and scrape off the frosting...you have to at least make the frosting. EVERYTHING is better with homemade buttercream.
3. Do a crumb layer of frosting on the cake and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
4. Do another very thin layer of frosting on the sides of the cake and a thicker layer on the top of the cake. You'll need this for the candy hearts to stick.
5. Place the candy hearts in a fun pattern. If you are using large candy hearts like we did here on the bottom cake, leave a space between each heart.
6. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star tip with the remaining frosting and pipe stars in between the candy hearts and on the edges of the cakes.
8. Cut small paper hearts and wrap them around the arms of the ballerinas with thin wire. This is optional, but we thought it was really fun. You could even write a note to your valentine on them! Place the ballerinas on the cake in any kind of fun pattern you like. We saved a few for the table even!
YAY!!!! How simple and cute is this. You could also decorate cupcakes with hearts and frosting and one ballerina each. So cute.
Happy Valentine's Day. Make it Yum Yum Fun!
Music Box Ballerina Cake Topper Kit